The race to GCC 3

Paul Iadonisi <pri.blu at iadonisi.to> writes:

>   I general distrust all upgrades, anyhow.  At the very least, I duplicate
> my existing install and make sure I can boot from it.  Then I do the upgrade
> on the original install and if something disastrous happens, I just boot
> from the copy I made and see what I can fix, or revert back to the old release
> and plan a clean install, migrating my customizations over to the new release.
> A pain, yes, but I've been burned too often by in the past (though, not so
> much lately, interestingly enough) by upgrades.

On my workstation, I keep /home and /opt on their own partitions. When a
new
Redhat release comes out, I first back up /opt, /home, /usr/local, /etc,
and
/var/www to a removable ide hard drive, then I do a fresh install without
overwriting /opt or /home. After I'm up and running with the new system, I
restore /usr/local and /var/www completely, and selected things from /etc
such as ssh host keys. I generally review the old httpd.conf and patch the
new one by hand, in case there's any changes in apache that might break
the old one.

IM: jabr at jabber.blu.org / abreauj at aim / abreauj at yahoo / 28611923 at icq
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

   Some people say, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
   I often respond, "When elephants fight, it's the grass
   that gets trampled."