Good things to know about cable modems

> How did you determine that AT&T sent the firmware update?

I assumed it was AT&T sending it as part of network maintenance/upgrades.
I guess I can't conclude fully that it was them, but I do know that only
the coax interface of the modem listens for such things.

> What does this mean for people who buy their modems at BestBuy and
> don't want auto updates?

You really don't have a choice, the updates are what controls the speeds
of the modems and the protocol version/method by which they connect to
AT&T's equipment, and you agree to letting AT&T administer them as part of
your user agreement.  I read a couple stories recently about people taking
it upon themselves to "unlock" their modems for 10 Mbps each way (though
parts of the stories seemed rather fishy, like how they were able to
upload firmware when the ethernet side of the device doesn't listen for
transfers), but when they were discovered they were removed from their
cable providers for the distant future.  AT&T wasn't very forthcoming on
what this latest update accomplished, so I figured it was just a bug in my
particuler modem or bad code on their part that made it not work
correctly with an already-running modem.  Whatever, no real loss.

-b