Getting RedHat distro

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 16:41, Christoph Doerbeck A242369 wrote:

> Just FYI,
>
> folks at slashdot (during LinuxWorld Expo) were very vocal on using
> the mysql rpms built and distributed by mysql.
>
> RedHat rpms were not good ... don't know why, but I believed them.

  If the reference is Red Hat 7.x, then I'd have to say from significant
experience, that I don't believe them (don't know about 8.0 yet).  A
former employer of mine (who is also a current client) uses mysql pretty
heavily and we've always gone with the Red Hat built rpms and never had
any problems with them.  I'm inclined to believe it's a NIH syndrome on
the not-quite-as-bad order of the mplayer author's shrill rantings about
gcc 2.96=bad, Red Hat=bad, me=reasonable, everybody else=wrong.  (Or NBH
[Not *built* here] syndrome.)

> Also, the newest mysql supports InnoDB (I think that's it) which
> is far better than the default ISAM db tables.

  Now there's a good reason to get the mysql built rpms -- there are no
4.x rpms available from Red Hat ;-).

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator