Why you need a firewall

Something to add...

A lot of users out there would be absoltely flabberghasted (sp?) at the
number of times per day my linux box acting as a router/firewall for my
ATT Broadband cable connection is probed or attacked.  I run snort to
log these things... I honestly get at least 100 attack attempts and
probes per day.... it only takes one of these to work successfully for
someone to be compromised.