What's the best distribution?

Debian has a (deserved) reputation for being hardware-hostile and having an unfriendly installer, but it does do software installs easier than anything out there.

There is a project for a "desktop" version of Debian, still in the idea stage. If it succeeds, I will happily switch back to Debian.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop/

Xandros (based on CorelOS) is something else to consider as a "desktop". Unfortunately, you cannot download it. I remember trying Corel Linux, and was impressed as hell by how what they'd done. Unfortunately, much of their hard work was for nothing once the packages got old. I even managed to install a *lot* of Debian into the Corel install, before I destroyed my desktop. :-)

-Scott