I thought my job was safe here in academia...

...but no such luck.  The Genome Center, trying to become leaner,
meaner, and more attractive for next year's grant cycle, has laid off
about 20% of its staff, including me.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers to...

(a) job opportunities for a Perl/Java/DB/Unix programmer with excellent
writing skills, a good work ethic, a mellow disposition, and an MIT
degree.

(b) brief seminars in the next couple of months that are related to
programming or databases, appropriate for someone with my skill level,
and more useful than just reading a book and polishing my skills on my
own laptop.

My resume is at "http://ropine.com/sethg/cv.html"; and my personal email
address is "sethg at ropine.com".

--
"The market can remain irrational longer than you
 can remain solvent."  --John Maynard Keynes