ATTBI just changed DNS servers

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 02:04:50PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:

> The problem is finding them.  I've  never  found  a  better
> approach  than asking friends and then testing the response
> times.   It  seems  like  there  should   be   a   way   to
> systematically   search   your   network  neighborhood  for
> nameservers and pick a few that work well.

Several options:

- Most DHCP servers also hand out DNS servers along with their leases.

- Service Location Protocol 2 can find servers listed in a Directory
  Agent

- Zeroconf, which Apple calls Rendezvous, does DNS service discovery.

- IPv6 has site-local DNS server IPs reserved: fec0:0:0:ffff::1, :2 and :3.

- IPv6 has LLMNR, Linklocal multicast name resolution, which provides
  DNS service for sites which don't implement their site-local servers.

- Configure with a non-optimal DNS server. traceroute to discover who is
  upstream of you. "dig upstream.com NS" to find a close nameserver.
  Reconfigure.

-dsr-