Compiling Kernel

OK, I am confused about building a new Red Hat kernel.  My kernel's
tend to not make an initrd, but the lilo.conf I am cribbing from does
list them.  It seems that unless one needs SCSI support,an initrd is
not needed, but I keep getting panics when it can't find init.

I am running a Red Hat 7.3 box and trying to build and boot from
2.4.19 source I get from kernel.org.

Can anyone give me a recipe for how to do this (including matching
lilo.conf details)?

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who knows more about building kernels for embedded use
but who wants to compare then with ix86 behavior.