"Respawning too fast" errors after updates

Thanks for reading this. I have an unusual problem that I need help with.

Last Thursday, I manually started the RH "up2date" program in response
to the RedHat errata note about glibc and MySQL. The up2date run went
without error:

[Thu Nov  7 22:41:16 2002] up2date installing packages:
['MAKEDEV-3.3-4',
'dev-3.3-4',
'glibc-2.2.4-31',
'glibc-common-2.2.4-31',
'glibc-devel-2.2.4-31',
'iptables-1.2.5-3',
'krb5-devel-1.2.2-15',
'krb5-libs-1.2.2-15',
'modutils-2.4.18-3.7x',
'nscd-2.2.4-31',
'xinetd-2.3.9-0.71',
'ypserv-2.5-2.7x']

However, when I rebooted I started getting these errors:

    INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

Google and rh archive searches indicate that a "respawning" issue may
be a problem with glibc, but I didn't find a specific mention of my
situation.

I commented out the tty4, tty5, and tty6 lines in /etc/inittab, and
that has eliminated the problem for now.

Please tell the list what solution(s) you have found for this issue. TIA.

Bill