From: "Mark J. Dulcey" <mark at buttery.org>
To: "Jerry Feldman" <gerald.feldman at hp.com>
Cc: <discuss at blu.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: The big condom for Gates

> Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > I came across the following two articles. The first, is that Bill Gates
was
> > greeted to India with an 8 foot condom. Thje second is that he pledged
$100
> > to fight HIV, and $421M to fight Linux.
>
> That was $100 million, not $100. And characterizing the $421 million that
Microsoft plans to spend in India as "fighting Linux" is a stretch; surely
some part of that is meant to further their own business, rather than
undercut a competitor. But I guess we can't expect a completely unbiased
report from a publication that claims it's "biting that hand that feeds IT".

> I don't have any problem with praising Bill Gates for his charitable
activities. But I'll make sure to criticize his uncharitable ones toward
users and competitors as well. But I think that the Register article went a
bit over the top.