further random questions from the newly-unemployed

> For this reason, many companies
> insist upon resumes in word format.  This causes me no end of
> annoyance.

This is a good point for everyone, and there's another reason for sending Microsoft formats (even if *not* requested):
Document associations don't always work in Windows, and even if they do there's no guarantee they display as intended. Definitely don't send the document without an extension, and proof the document in MS Word for Windows.

Even .pdf can go wrong... it's not always installed (should be...), and I've had my own .pdf files display as blank pages in Windows (they look fine in xpdf, hmm...). Of course, one always gets their resume proofread anyways... riiight? ;-)

Turn off your .sig in your mailer!
I saw one resume as inline text, which contained a .sig from Metallica's "And Justice For All". Heh.

Lastly... and I've seen lots of this: SPELL CHECK. It should go without saying that spelling errors on a critical document shows a lack of "attention to detail". Don't expect a headhunter to proof it all they do is match keywords and slap their own letterhead on...

Scott