further random questions from the newly-unemployed

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:15:58PM -0500, Wizard wrote:
> > > This makes another assumption that I find extremely irritating...
> > > What if I don't have access to Microsoft Word?
> >
> > Agreed.  If someone sends me a word doc, I don't read it.
>
> That's one way of dramatically reducing the number of resumes that you have
> to read ;-). Probably by about 85%. Nearly anyone can read the average Word
> document with OpenOffice, ABIWord, or StarOffice, so "Microsoft Word" is
> really a misnomer.

In truth, I exaggerate.  I don't let principle get in the way of, say,
doing what's required of me in my job so I don't get fired... ;)  That
said, I do trash lots of spurious word attachments.  I only read them if
necessary.  I typically use 'wv'.

> > My personal preferred format for formatted text is postscript.  Anyone
> > with a postscript printer driver can make a postscript file; and
> > ghostview runs on pretty much anything.  Sad thing is, simple as this is
> > to do, many will claim it's over their head.  Which makes me
> > sardonically wonder if I care about their compositions in any format.
>
> Whatever your preferred format, text and Word format are substantially more
> prevalent.

I like to think that with education, people will eventually change their
ways such that in the future things will be different.  I can dream.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\