Indian State Switches to Linux

We had been discussing Bill Gates in India last week. slashdot
(http://slashdot.org/) references an article in the India Times
(http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/xml/uncomp/articleshow?artid=28
707422)
Posted by michael on Wednesday November 20, @11:19AM
from the low-cost-high-tech dept.
pamri writes "In a pleasant and surprising move, the Indian state of Madhya
Pradesh, has opted to switch to Linux from Microsoft for its Gyandooth
(intranet in Dhar district connecting rural cybercafes catering to the
everyday needs of the masses) programme. What is more surprising is that
the state's Chief Minister Digvijay Singh personally conveyed this to Bill
Gates. A choice quote: 'For us it is not a question of Microsoft versus
Linux. It is just a matter of choosing between a free software and a
monopoly. We feel that when we are putting public information out in the
open, then it should not be through a proprietary software.'"

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director