Document Formats and Recruiting

It's pretty easy to output a .doc from any application.

The problem is guaranteeing it looks at the other end, the way you intended.

I had a WfW resume template. When I (temporarily) ditched Windows and got a Mac for my "desktop", I got Office for the Mac, updated my document and sent to various HR (both using MS Office for Windows).

In ONE case, my "em-dash" between year dates, got translated as another character: a skull-and-crossbones wingding of some sort. LOL.

In another example, the table/frames for the body text, somehow imported as SMALLER than the text. The result was the last 6 characters of every line were trunc'd before the auto-wrap occured.

I got called on these "error", and let slip it came from a Macintosh. The interviews seemed extremely positive until that revelation... (probably got marked down as "mac/webmaster type"). Ah well. :-/

Granted, this happened from MS Word on the *Mac*, but I learned never to trust loosely-interpreted formats without testing (even PDF).

Scott