Which language will do?

I guess I need to be a little clearer -- I'm looking to create a
stand-alone document reader, not a web-based application. Something that
could fit on a CD, or installed from a CD, or downloaded as a Zip and
installed that way.

Nathan: Yes, PHP would be my preference, but it is, of course,
server-based. I've tried a PHP compiler, the only php compiler I've found,
but it doesn't want to work on Win2k.

Brian: No, I haven't tried Perl. Does Perl work for stand-alone apps?

Thanks very much.
Jared

----------
What I wrote before:
----------
Hi Everyone.

I'm new here and I have some specific linux questions, but first I have
another that's more important to me.

I'm trying to build a document reader for a friend of mine. He uses the
JAWS Reader for the blind, so I've been creating this reader with MS HTML
Help for Windows, and generating the documents using PHP on Linux. It seems
to be the easiest and most accessible thing that I've found that can handle
such large documents.

The problem is that I can't make it interactive -- I want to be able to
include things like a search engine (something other than the HTML Help
search engine), saving bookmarks, search queries, and user preferences.
I've been using VBscript, but when I try to use the FileSystemObject I get
a security warning. MS says this can be fixed by using a digital
certificate, but that's out of my price range. This is a not-for-profit
project and I don't want to spend any money on it.

So, here's what I need help with. I need to find a programming language
that is easy for someone like me to understand -- someone who has years of
scripting and object-oriented language experience (VBA, Javascript,
VBScript, PHP, etc.), and can, with the right documentation and
environment, learn quickly; a language that is cross-platform -- compatible
with at least Windows, Linux, and Mac OS 9 or 10; something that's free and
can be built in a Linux environment (I have Suse Linux 7.3, but be gentle,
I'm a little green); and something that can be easily deployed without a
lot of user intervention.

I've been struggling with this problem for weeks, so I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks much.
Jared