Which language is best?

Looking through your intended goals... you might not even be looking for a 'language' at this point...

It seems what you're proposing, should be done through a web framework (such as Zope, or whatever else falls into that class), and also "canned" website engines such as PHPNuke and Slashcode. These See what's out there. They are written in the popular scripting languages (PHP, Perl, Python), but are much higher level than starting from scratch.

I don't think the language will have any bearing on the clients. FileSystemObject in VBScript is OS & browser-specific... it would have the effect of locking the charity into Windows (even if you donate the licenses, will they want that effect 3 years down the road?).

Scott