Bad crash

On Monday 02 December 2002 05:44 pm, John Abreau wrote:

> Well, I've suffered what I suspect is perhaps the most common way
> a Linux box can crash, through a hardware failure. I found the box
> powered off when I went to use it this morning, and when I try to
> power it up, it buzzes loudly, then beeps continuously for a few
> seconds (one very long beep), then powers down.
>
> I had something similar happen in the past, that turned out to be
> a failed CPU fan; hopefully this time it's something similar that
> won't cost a fortune to repair. In the meantime I've configured
> OroborOSX on my MacOSX box to act as an X terminal for my mail server.

If it turns out to be the CPU fan or the power supply, let me know and maybe I
already have what you need lying around.

The beeping behavior and auto shutdown like that are usually indicative of
either the motherboard or power supply thinking (right or wrong) that the
power is bad, or defective RAM.  I might be able to lend you RAM.

Have you looked up the beep codes for your BIOS yet?

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "Light is meaningful only in relation to darkness, and truth
DKK D  presupposes error.  It is these mingled opposites which people our
DK KD  life, which make it pungent, intoxicating.  We only exist in terms
DDDD    of this conflict, in the zone where black and white clash."
                                                  - Louis Aragon (1897-1982)