Fwd: Possible GPL violation by Red Hat/Dell alliance

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 17:28, GNU/Linux :-) wrote:

[snip]

> I have never sayd that redhat is doing anything against the GPL, I just
> said that I don't like the positition they take for some issues and
> that I wont be surprised if they actually one day do, I think I have
> freedom of speech to actually say what I think, you like it or not.

  Eh?  Did I ever say you had no *right* to say what you said?  I don't
think so.  But I was rebutting it, as best I could as there were few
specifics to rebut.  And I'll do that whenever anyone openly critiques
Red Hat to be another voice for people to hear so they can weigh the
comments of both views.  I want people to come to their own conclusions.
But I won't let critiques go unchallenged when I believe them to be
unfounded, so those listening in (reading?) can hear alternative points
of view.

> and I still disagree with RedHaT in some politics they have, I don't
> care what you have to say to make them look good.
> Maybe because:
>
> "Red Hat Certified Engineer / Local Linux Lobbyist"

  Again, eh?  For the same reason I am stockholder, I also got my RHCE
early on *because* I believe in Red Hat's position on many issues and
find them more amenable than most distributions out there, particularly
for a commercial company.  It's not the other way around, i.e. that I am
somehow beholden to or a shill for Red Hat because I have an RHCE.  I'm
not saying anything 'to make them look good' and it's a bit of an insult
for you to imply it (though I don't really take it personally, as I've
been on-line long enough to develop a thick skin).  I don't believe I
need to say things to make them look good.  Their actions speak for
themselves.
  For the record, I am Red Hat stockholder, an RHCE, and a few other
things I'll leave unmentioned for the moment, *because* I believe in Red
Hat as a company and the choices they have made.  I do *not* believe
that Red Hat can do no wrong, however.  I have privately, and sometimes
publicly criticized some moves they've made, but they have been no where
near as bad as some so-called open source/free software companies out
there, IMNSHO.  [As an aside: One thing Red Hat has not made me is rich,
yet I stand by them on principle.  The money is secondary for me (if it
ever comes ;-)).  I'll make money flippin' burgers if I have to.  And
I'll still stand by Red Hat, provided they still continue to behave,
when I'm asking the next guy in line if he wants fries with that.]

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator