Request for assistance

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:39:29AM -0500, Warren E. Agin wrote:
> As others will point out, closing smtp in this way helps prevent use of the
> smtp server to relay spam. In some cases, an ISP can end up on the real-time
> blackhole list until they close the server.
>
> You need to find an ISP that allows relaying, find an open smtp server you
> can use for outgoing messages, or get a friend that runs an smtp server to
> open one up for you.
>
> Technically, the ISP can open its smtp server to accept your e-mail from a
> particular address -- whether they will do this is questionable. The front
> line support people probably will not be aware of the option.

If this really is an ISP and not just a Web/Email host - in other words,
you're connecting to the Internet through them - they should be able
to freely accept your email without the spam concerns (assuming you're
not running an open mail relay on your box or otherwise behaving like a
spammer). This is basically a restatement of Warren's third paragraph,
except the "particular address" would be whatever address you're currently
assigned. The only trick is to convince them of this :-|.

The first rule of spam control is not to be an open relay: mail must
either originate from an internal host or be destined for an internal
host. When you're connected through this ISP, you're an internal
host. ISPs can choose to add tighter controls, and yours obviously has.

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net