Request for assistance

| On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:42:43AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
| > What can you do?  ummm... use their domain name?
| >
| > What domain name are you trying to use?  Do you have your own mail server at
| > home?  Tell us more about your setup.
|
| I've tried using their domain name.  They apparently see that my dynamically
| assigned ip address is not theirs.  I'm running a small character based
| system:  mutt, fetchmail, sendmail and procmail.
|
| I know that their other clients using Windows and Mac mail programs have
| no problems, and wonder why me.

These packages should all be capable of connecting directly
to  the  recipient's  machine  (or  MX server).  Is there a
reason you're using the ISP's server for outgoing mail?

There's really no sensible reason to do this.  If you're on
the  internet,  all you have to do is make a TCP connection
to the recipient's port 25 and start talking SMTP.  You can
do  this  with  telnet (if you know SMTP, which is an ascii
protocol, and fairly easy to type).

If you're running Windoze, you might not have a choice. But
on  a  unix-like  system,  all  that  bouncing email off an
intermediate server does is increase  network  traffic  and
delivery  time.   If  you can configure your email stuff to
make direct delivery, you can avoid your ISP's restrictions
and get faster delivery.