Request for assistance

mark_glassberg at valley.net writes:

> Thank you...I think.  It worked.  So, if you would, since .muttrc uses
> sendmail -oi -oem -t to send mail, how would I get my system to do what
> I just did?

The options mean the following:

    -oi - "IgnoreDots": override the default where a "." on a line
          by itself is interpreted as the end of the message

    -oem - "ErrorMode=m": On errors, mail the error message back to me

    -t - Use the message headers to find where to send the message

These options work when you invoke sendmail on the command line (or mutt
invokes sendmail on a pipe), but are not relevant to talking to a
remote instance of sendmail through an SMTP connection.

I happen to have a co-located server I can ssh to, and I use an
ssh tunnel for sending via SMTP (and another for receiving via
IMAP with fetchmail). If you have or can get a shell account,
you could do the same.

Let's say you can ssh to shell.example.com, and you can send mail
when logged in there. You'd set up a DSA or RSA keypair for ssh,
and then use ssh-agent to cache the local key so you can ssh
to shell.example.com without typing your keypair's passphrase
each time.

Once you've got that working, you'd change that entry in your
muttrc file from

    sendmail -oi -oem -t

    ssh shell.example.com nc localhost 25

- --