Request for assistance

On Thursday 19 December 2002 11:33 am, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:14:08AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> > Are you talking about sendmail on your own server rejecting mail, or mail
> > that you've sent through sendmail on your own server being rejected?
>
> I'm using Mutt, which uses sendmail, to forward mail to a mail server
> which, from my telnet contacts, seems to be running smtp at port 25.

And that mail server is at your ISP?

> > What does the "hostname" command return on your system?
>
> It gives my local hostname, which I've configured as my isp username.  I've
> also given it, in /etc/hosts, my isp's domain, so that hostname -f returns
> username.intergate.com.

OK, well I wish you would have answered the question by showing me the output,
since your answer doesn't address my point.

> > A hostname should not have a @ in it.  The parameter to HELO is the
> > hostname of the client (not the email address of the sender), so there
> > should never be an @ on the HELO line in an SMTP conversation.
>
> But the problem is that the mail server knows my machine when I use telnet,
> but not when I use sendmail.

You mean when you telnet to port 25 of the ISP's sendmail?  What are you
typing in on the HELO line in that case?  You stated, correctly, that a HELO
followed by a string with a @ will not work, but you didn't say what did
work.

--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net