Public end-user nameservers...

You don't need to use your ISP's name servers (except for names that only
exist within their network). Using your ISP's name servers should be more
efficient than using a name server outside your network. One generic name
server is 4.2.2.1 is BBN. (Actually Verizon).
When I boot up in MIT I use the MIT name servers:
nameserver 18.70.0.160         ; w20ns.mit.edu
nameserver 18.71.0.151         ; strawb.mit.edu
nameserver 18.72.0.3           ; bitsy.mit.edu
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group