broadband in east Watertown

   From: Drew Taylor <drew at drewtaylor.com>
   Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:25:28 -0500

   During my initial speedtest with dslreports, it reported 1700+/286
   for the cable modem. The cheapest speakeasy package is about $20
   more than my cable modem service, and for a lot less
   bandwidth. Still, I'd take DSL over cable modem if I could because
   my old service w/ SE in Lexington was excellent.  Almost no
   downtime and I could get a static IP. :-)

One thing I notice with Speakeasy is that I *consistently* get full
rated bandwidth from my connection -- that is, if the remote site can
supply at full bandwidth.  I've noticed that all of the RCN and/or ATT
fliers say something like "assuming 500 Kb/sec on a 1.5 Mb/sec
connection".

There is, of course, also the nice matter of the static IP, ability to
run servers, clueful support, etc.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton