broadband in east Watertown

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:54:36PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I host a web site for my company; I have some cron jobs that mirror
> a lot of (changing) information locally so I have a local cache;

Makes sense.

> My wife works for MIT and needs to do work there, so she's using it
> a lot...
> [...]
> Then again, MOST of my traffic goes to MIT, and RCN has a great
> back-door into MIT :)

Ah, BIG reason.

Changing the subject to mirroring, have you used rdiff-backup?  I just
discovered it and haven't done any trials, but it appears to be very
much like rsync (it is written by the same folks) but it keeps a
history of changes in a directory at the root of the destination.  It
might not be suited for caching of web content, but it looks perfect
for backing up one computer to another over the internet.  Mix that
with software raid 1, and any longing for tape backups should fade.

-kb, the Kent who looks forward to his no-blocked-ports Covad service
(modem/router came few minutes ago) so he can move his ssh to the
right port, so he can easily *use* such tools.