LSR safety check engaged!

Hello:

I am running a system under Debian packaging.  When I use lilo to load
the Linux version 2.4.9-k6 kernal, I am able to use my internal PNP
modem.  When I switch to Linux version 2.4.20-k6 at boot time, at the
end of dmesg, it reads:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'ENSONIQ SoundscapeVIVO'
isapnp: Card 'Cardinal 3440-56K Internal D/F'
isapnp: 2 Plug & Play cards detected total
ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
ad1848: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!

> ls -l /dev|grep ttyS1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Apr  7  2001 modem -> /dev/ttyS1
crw-r--r--    1 root     dialout    4,  65 Jan 22 17:23 ttyS1

With the 2.4.20-k6 kernal, I cannot use my modem.

The biggest difference I can see between the kernals is that 20 uses
in /boot initrd.img-2.4.20-k6, but for 9 there is a initrd-2.4.9-k6
(no .img).

This may have to do with how PNP devices are handled under the
different kernels.  I remember spending lots of time with isapnp.conf,
but now that is in my Unused folder in /etc.  There is a isapnp in
/etc/init.d.

At the BIOS level, I have turned PNP on and off, but it has made no
difference in this error message.

During the bootup, I notice that it is using the serial devices
setting from memory.  I don't know where those get set, or how to see
if they are correct.

Any suggestions on this would be helpful.  I would like to use a more
modern kernel, but not without my modem.

doug