FW: FYI - Telephone Scam

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 11:56 am, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, it would require the ability to parse English, a
> > > strong-AI condition.
> >
> > Actually, yes.  A friend of mine wrote one.
> > http://crm114.sourceforge.net/
>
> Sorry.
>
> As Crash will be the first to tell you, the CRM-114 Discriminator
> doesn't understand English, and can't parse English. All it does is
> match word-probability against the existing corpus-profile.
>
> In other words, there are several approaches which will work, but none
> of them are "logic filter"s that analyze the logic of the statements
> made.
>
> -dsr- (who did some very minor debugging on it before it was released,
> or even named.)

OK, when he first started defining the product, he led me to believe that
there was going to be new things in there, like basing rules on the relative
space between words, and the order of phrases, that could be used for this
purpose.  I realize that is not the same thing as AI.  Can they not be used
for this purpose,  or are those features not in there?

-dsk- (who hosted the project for a while before he moved to sourceforge)

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "Ginny!" said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted.  "haven't I taught you
DK KD  anything?  What have I always told you?  Never trust anything that can
DDDD   think for itself if you can't see where it keeps it's brain?