When DNS over DHCP breaks?

At 03:26 PM 2/12/2003 -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>Duane,
>Sounds like either your router is not working or your ISP's DHCP server
>is broken.
>Is your staticly connected box connected directly to the cable modem (or
>DSL) or is it connected directly to the router?

Ok, here's the scoop.  I've got A Linksys firewall/router that has cable
modem line going in, 4 regular ports, and wireless.  I have a Mandrake
linux box connected straight to the router (i.e. not wireless) which is
static IP and working fine. It is receiving SMTP traffic for me.

I have a linux laptop which is wireless, static IP and working fine.

The problem is the XP box, wireless, DHCP. I tried making it static but it
didn't seem to have any effect.  Note that when I'm talking DHCP I'm
talking about my own internal network -- the only IP assigned by my ISP is
assigned to my router, and as far as I know that's not causing me a problem
(since the other machines work ok).

The most likely culprit, though I dont understand why : today when I
rebooted the machine (before problems began, if I recall), it came up and
told me "found new hardware" despite the fact that I haven't connected
anything.  The hardware only identified itself as "win driver virtual
device".  The only thing I could think is that I had downloaded an upgrade
to my MP3 player software and not rebooted, so maybe that was it.  I
removed that software, but still this hardware thing persisted.  I tried to
OK it just to follow through the procedure and see if I could identify what
it was, but Windows told me it couldn't find any drivers.  Assuming that I
was now in a case where I had removed the drivers it thought it wanted, I
clicked the box that said dont remind me of this hardware anymore.

I'm wondering now if that somehow has screwed up my net
connection.  Everything is reading normal, IPconfig gives me whatever
address I tell it (be it static or dynamic), my wireless signal is strong,
and so on.  I just can't get outside my router from this one machine.

After I send this I will reboot the machine in safe mode, then fire it up
again and see if I can get it to better understand the purpose of that
mysterious "win driver".

Duane