Public DNS server?

> This, too, gives me "DNS request timed out.  timeout was 2
> seconds.  Can't
> find address for server A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.:  Timed out."
Try:
C:\> nslookup
> server 198.41.0.4
Default Server: a.root-servers.net
Address: 198.41.0.4

> (try a lookup)

> Here's a theory -- will I be able to find another DNS client to run on my
> XP box, instead of the default one?  Rule out that aspect of the problem.
> I have to assume at this point that for some reason my XP box is
> denying incoming DNS-related traffic?  Does that make sense?  It
> seems like it wants to make the request, and I can ping these
> machines, but I'm guessing now that XP is somehow blocking out
> the very response it is waiting for.

I don't know if that will solve your problem, as it likely has something to
do with that PnP message that you had. It seem as though your DNS lookups
are failing, but not your actually connectivity. I might try going to cygwin
and playing there with ftp, lynx, sendmail, etc., and see what kind of
errors that you get (you'll need to use IP address, as cygwin uses Windows
calls for lookups).

Also, I'd try to enter some values in your /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/HOSTS
file as hardcoded IP addresses, and see if you can access those. Here's a
few:
sourceforge.net 66.35.250.203
blu.org 216.235.254.231
cff.org 63.111.57.27
slashdot.org 66.35.250.150

Lastly, the suggestion that Jerry Feldman suggests in his email would tell
you whether or not it's your computer or firewall.

Good luck,
Grant M.