Public DNS server?

At 10:09 AM 2/13/2003 -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>Why not run a DNS server on your Linux box inside your network. The use
>that as your primary DNS server for the XP box.

Default gateway == router, 192.168.1.1.

DHCP address is assigned by router (*), and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

I think I've confirmed that I've got no external connectivity out of the XP
box.  Despite the fact that I can ping some known IP machines, I timeout
when attempting to telnet or ftp to them (including to a variety of ports,
including 80).  So is it possible
to have lost outgoing connectivity somewhere between ping and telnet?

Attempts to telnet, ssh or ftp from the XP box to my internal machines is fine.

I have completely uninstalled Norton virus and firewall.  I also apaprently
accidentally removed VNC, which I didn't mean to do, but now am unable to
use this machine to run Xapps from my linux box :-/.

I will work on putting a dns server onto my linux machine so that I can at
least get myself running again.  But boy, is this frustrating.

Duane

P.S. - Since I have so few machines this machine is almost always .102 or
.103.  For some reason, today it is .109.  My router tells me that it is
the only dhcp client, though.  Not quite sure what's up with that.