Public DNS server?

Ok, I'm not an XP expert, but I do have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router.
If you can ping an external IP address, then your routing seems to be
ok. The XP system should work even with the firewall in place.
ping itself is a bit strange. First, it uses the ICMP prototol, not TCP
that is used by ftp and telnet.
Again, the steps that are needed is to make sure that the router is
providing the appropriate connectivity, and I think you have done that.
Make sure that you can also ping and ftp to your Linux box. That will
establish that the routing tables are ok. Also, if you have SMB
configured on the Linux box, set up a share on the XP, and run smbclient
on the linux box to see if it can see the share.

I would still want to run a test by connecting the XP box directly to
the cable modem.  (You would need to register your MAC address with AT&T
BB. I use the same MAC address in my router that I do with my main
desktop PC.

Beyond that I don't know how to proceed since the problems seem to
emanate from the XP box.