KDE refuses to start, part 2

Just to follow up on this, and to send along thanks to Jerry, Christoph,
and friend (sorry I didn't get your name!) for helping solve this problem.

So: Christoph brought down KDE by Ctrl-Alt-F1, logging in as root, and
doing init 3. Then by logging in as ken, and typing startkde, the error
message came up:

/usr/bin/startkde: Cannot write to KDE.startkde.fq12o9u
You don't have write permissions for /tmp

(Not exactly, but something very similar.) Which was very strange, b/c I
own the KDE startup file, and b/c /tmp had full permissions for everyone.
Also he was able to find by adding a new user, then that user was able to
start kde fine.

So in the end, the decision was that some file in my home dir was causing
the problem. I had made some changes to my .bashrc lately. (I hadn't
mentioned this b/c the changes I made were pretty simple. duh. :-( ) But
after renaming to .bashrc.old, voila, kde starts again! So after
investigating the .bashrc file, it turns out the offending line was
(drumroll please...)

set -o noclobber

I'm a little worried that this now confirms my status as a Redhat luser.
:-/ But seriously, this seems strange to me that a simple thing like this
will cause kde so many problems. Am I just complaining, or should kde be
able to deal more gracefully with something like this?