Samba Help

Guru? No I am not, but I have a similar setup at home that I have kept
working over 2 Yrs. and multiple upgrades. The first thing I suggest is you
buy a book so that you have a flip through resource at your fingertips, I
bought Samba for Dummies by IDG, but there are other books out there.
Setting up Samba is a step by step process.

1) Make a list of what you want to share.
2) Read a Samba book, they explain how to setup the windows boxes, the
samba server, password and permission structures, and various ways of
sharing resources like printers, cdroms, etc...

trlists at clayst.com wrote:

> I hoep there are some Samba gurus out there.
>
> I am trying to set up a file server for an in-house windows network,
> using Samba.  The Windows machines are Win98 or Win2K, and there are
> only a few of them.  The server is behind a firewall and access from
> the net will not be allowed -- the ports are blocked.
>
> I want a few public shares (e.g. tmp, pub) and I also want a share for
> each user that can be used for private data.  A "user" is pretty close
> to equivalent to a physical Windows system.  Being able to access a
> person's data from a different physical system would be a very minor
> plus but is not at all essential.

You will be able to do this.

> I have to say I've gotten quite lost in the various flavors of possible
> samba configurations.  At the moment I have share-level security, and
> the public shares work, but that required enabling guest access.  The
> private ones do not.  Here are some of the questions I've run into:
>
> - Should I be using user- or share-level security for this
> configuration?

No, you want to enable user level security. Once you have your book read
the section on setting up smbpasswords. Without samba running can you log
into your windows computers from each other?

> - When a Windows machine connects where does it get the username and
> password passed to the server?

I don't remember.

> - Is samba going to condition access rights on machine name, user name,
> or some combination?

Yes.

> Or are they the same?

> - Do I need a separate Linux user name for every Windows user?

Yes you do if you want to have private shares.

> Or
> should I be mapping them all to the same Unix user?  Do I need a samba
> user for each as well?

Samba uses a linux user name to validate share access. You can map a
windows username to a different linux username.

> - Should I be using encrypted passwords?

yes

> - What should the owner and group be for the private directories?  For
> the public ones?

Usually owner and group are the same name for private directories but this
is why you need a book because you need an overview of the permission
structure of linux so that you can setup private shares that might be
shared by more than one user yet not accessible to others.

> - Is it possible to give access to the public diorectories without
> using "guest ok"?  Or is setting guest access the best method?

There are a number of methods to setup public folders.