-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Martin [mailto:blu at sophic.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 2:24 PM

---snip---

It depends on how you compile (or actually, link) the program when
you're building it.  If you build it with -static, you link AT COMPILE
TIME against the static library.  Otherwise, by default (if your
system supports shared objects) you link AT RUN TIME against the
shared library.

Generally speaking, most systems use the dynamic libraries for the
vast majority of cases.  The point is this saves huge amounts of disk
space.  With the static libraries, the library is copied into the
executable file of every binary that is linked statically, wasting
huge amounts of space.  That's the (main) point of shared libraries.

---snip---