Home Linux box can't send to AOL this week

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:59:50AM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> Have any of you gotten this, as a result of an apparent policy change
> at AOL in the past few days?  I have a Linux email server running
> sendmail 8.12.9, connected to Comcast aka ATT-BI aka MediaOne, formerly
> Continental Cable:
>
> <<< 550-The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is either open to
> <<< 550-the free relaying of e-mail, is serving as an open proxy, or is a
> <<< 550-dynamic (residential) IP address.  AOL cannot accept further e-mail
> <<< 550-transactions from your server until either your server is closed to
> <<< 550-free relaying/proxy, or your ISP removes your IP address from their
> <<< 550-list of dynamic IP addresses.  For additional information,
> <<< 550-please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
> <<< 550 Goodbye
>
> I am apparently now classified as a "dynamic (residential) IP".  This
> message comes back whenever I try to email any of my friends @aol.  What
> should I do about this?  I don't even know the names of the relay servers
> at Comcast and I doubt they're configured correctly.  But I figure some
> of y'all must have run into this, or are about to.

Hi Rich, AOl is now blocking all direct smtp cnxns from dynamically assigned
IP's as an anti spam action.

I assume you are attempting to connect directly from your system to AOL
without relaying your mail through ATT/Comcast's mail end user relays.

This won't work.  You will need to add some info to your mail config to
handle it:

Add the following to mailertable in /etc/mail/mailertable
aol.com		smtp:mail.attbi.com

You need to change  smtp:mail.attbi.com to whatever your
ISP has set up for accepting email from MS-WIN users.

And restart sendmail.

(Originally From Travis Roy over on GNHLUG, Thanks Travis.)
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.