Home Linux box can't send to AOL this week

[Mark J. Dulcey: Apr 07 13:47]

> Does mail.attbi.com require authentification (some SMTP servers do - I
> know, for instance, that mail.speakeasy.net does), or does it just depend
> on mail coming from the right range of addresses? If it's the latter,
> simply adding the mailertable entry won't work, and I don't know how to get
> sendmail to do the right thing. Maybe somebody else here does...

My home is provisioned with verizon adsl. I sometimes relay through
their servers - and when I do I use authenticated SMTP. Verizon does
not require authentication if you use an @verizon address but allows a
3rd party domain on the sender iff you are authenticated. Anyhow, to
do the auth with outgoing.verizon.net my /etc/mail/access file contains:

Authinfo:outgoing.verizon.net "U:USERNAME" "I:USERNAME" "P:PASSWORD" "R:outgoing.verizon.net" "M:PLAIN"

you of course need to make this into an access.db file before sendmail
will use it.

-Patrick