Concatenating production and change libraries for a web site

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 billhorne at attbi.com wrote:
> With that in mind, please tell me if the CVS floating tags will allow Apache to
> retrieve a web page from the "development" directory, or to default to
> the "production" directory if the page isn't in development.

Nope.  The solution I described would be independent on Apache,
and instead would depend on building a directory consisting of the
union of production and pending pages appropriately.

The only real issue I see with the way you're looking for is that you're
showing them a fundamental performance problem.  I assume
that you can assume the large majority of pages are in production, not
development.  Therefore to look for everything in development first,
you're going to generate a large majority of double requests and thus
effectively halve your performance.  That's why I thought it would
be better to somehow use production as the default and just overlay
the pending/dev content on top of that.

Another post described 404 trapping.  I'm not sure that you can put
that much logic in Apache config, though.  I thought you could only
really redirect 404 to another static url.

Duane