Concatenating production and change libraries for a web site

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:01:12PM +0000, billhorne at attbi.com wrote:

> That's where I'm in need of help: I've password-protected the
> "development" directory, and the "production" directory is
> read-only. However, I'd like any web page that's in the "development"
> directory to be AUTOMATICALLY inserted in place of the production
> version, so that ONLY modified files are in the development directory.

Going back to cvs...

If you have a cvs repository up and running, take a look at
CVSROOT/loginfo.  You can modify this file so that cvs will call a
script that expects log info on standard input.  If your web site is
itself a cvs checkout, then you could have this script do a 'cvs update'
on your live web site whenever someone checks something in.  Modify your
Apache config to hide CVS directories (IndexIgnore directive).  Of
course there are several variations on this theme, but the basic idea is
to just use cvs to take care of commits, rollbacks, etc.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\