Another question : tape drive

On Fri, 9 May 2003 11:38:28 -0600
"Jack Coats" <jack at www.coats.org> wrote:

> I have a friend that wants to start a 'remote backup service'.
> He is in Houston TX (far enough from Boston to keep most issues
> that effect one place from effecting the other).
>
> what would a remote service be worth to computer hobbiests?
>
> I have priced some services that are so high $$ that you don't want
> to use them unless you are making $$ out of it.  (like $100/gig/month
> and you get charged bandwidth for restores :(  )
I am very dubious of remote backups per se.
1. Bandwidth. Residential bandwidth is generally limited to about 300K
upload. (they vary).
2. Do you really want to entrust your data to someone else.

There are some very good reasons for remote backup in some
circumstances. One is that it is offsite. If you have a catistrophic
failure, fire, tornado, ..., that backup will probably be ok.

Someone mentioned that there are 2 considreeations:
1. Redundancy, which can be handled locally through RAID.
2. Archive.

I thill have problems pushing my data onto some site I know little
about.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group