D'oh! moments

When I take the laptop in to the office I execute an "ifdown eth0"
before going home so that I dont accidentally try to fire up some
net-sensitive app and have to wait for a timeout.

Today I did that from a terminal window and found myself saying
"Why is it taking so long?" before realizing that i had accidentally
done it in a window where I was ssh'd in to the server.  That smarts.

What do people do in a situation like that?  The machine in my
basement has no head, and the only monitor in the house is my
flatscreen up in the office.  So doing stuff local on the server
means having to take apart my Windows machine and lug the monitor
downstairs, possibly just to issue a 3 second command.

Duane