D'oh! moments

So (and I realize this is going to sound like a newbie question) why
can't you just reboot the server? I know it's an otherwise bad thing to
do, but I figure that if the server is already effectively dead to the
outside world then any other services it might have been hosting
wouldn't seem any LESS dead during the reboot, and most file systems
I've seen can handle a CTRL-ALT-DEL or two (after file system checks).

I mean, it's obviously not a good solution for every time you want to
down the server, but in this case it's a lot simpler than getting the
laptop hooked up through a null-modem cable. Or is there something I'm
missing about rebooting a server that doesn't involve long bootup times
and filesystem checks?

-Chris