Lindows/WINE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert La Ferla" <robertlaferla at attbi.com>
To: <discuss at blu.org>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:36 PM
Subject: Lindows/WINE

> Anyone running Lindows?
Probably not. :-)
>How do you like it?  Is LindowsOS just a
> front-end or a complete system?  i.e  Can you run the Lindows GUI on top
> of say RedHat?

It's just a distribution of Linux. I'm not sure of the availability of their
GUI extensions -- I've never seen a Lindows ISO download either (perhaps
they mix in proprietary software, and only offer source for bits. But I am
guessing here... SuSE no longer offers full-version ISO downloads either). I
thought I read Lindows was based on Debian.

>  How well does WINE work?  Does WINE work on RedHat?

Love Redhat or hate it... one thing you can say is it's easy to find out
just `how well` things work on it using Google. You either find evidence it
works... or lots of complaints. There are some threads that suggest WINE
does not work properly in RH 9.

In fact, I didn't even *see* wine on my RH9 CD's, but maybe I'm being a
dummy. I got my RH9-targeted rpm from the wine homepage. The simple win32
apps I run do OK.

Some Google threads assert serious conflicts with WINE and RH9...  library
compilation issues I'd guess. No complaints here.

You can download a free-trial of the Codeweaver's WINE. Supposedly it has
more polish.