bringing my computer into the 21st century

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:07:31PM -0400, Seth Gordon wrote:
> On pricewatch.com, I found someone offering 36.4GB IBM Ultra2 hard
> drives for $54.99 each....
>
> http://www.softwareandstuff.com/strg_ibmDRHS36d.html
>
> > So, for a nice little 5 drive RAID (striping, parity, one spare) you
> > would spend $250 + (5 x 160) = $1050 and have a little less than 80 GB
> > of nice, fast, reliable storage.
>
> I thought you only needed 3 drives (not counting spares) to do striping
> plus parity, if you're doing it with RAID 5.

Sure, but I was trying to get you to a viable amount of storage.

3 x 36GB, no spares, is about 100GB, for $265. In contrast, you can buy
2 brand new 120 GB EIDE drives and mirror them for about the same
amount.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / pre-sales engineer available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr