bringing my computer into the 21st century

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:38:07PM -0400, Scott Prive wrote:

> From: "Seth Gordon" <sethg at ropine.com>
> > I have a P-II 350 MHz computer sitting in my office, and I want to spiff
> > it up, within the limits of my budget, before everything that's
> > compatible with its motherboard becomes "legacy hardware".
> >
> > In particular, I want to put in a SCSI controller and a few drives, so I
> > can set up a RAID system.
>
> "so" you can setup a RAID system? FYI you don't need SCSI for RAID... IDE
> RAID works better than many will give it credit for.
>
> Which isn't to discourage you from SCSI RAID... but if you've "got by" on a
> non-raid IDE system, and we're still talking "home or office" PC, and you
> are not billing the parts to someone else... then IDE RAID is the way to go
> IMO.

I am a fan of IDE RAID, especially in high-end setups with 3Ware
controllers.

Nevertheless, there are definite places for SCSI. When high I/O rates
are mandatory, the last bits of performance that cost so much must be
obtained with SCSI... until you realize that you need HIPPI or FICON or
GSN/ST...

-dsr-