Really intro level hosting question

Ok, I'm through hearing from friends "Hey I'm building a web site for this
guy I know and I don't know anything about how do to it except to whip
some stuff up in FrontPage for him."  The fact that these people are
getting paid gives me a migraine.

The thing that's stopped me from doing this for anybody in the past is the
issue of finding a hosting provider.  I prefer to work in a
Linux/Tomcat/Java environment.  Does anybody have one they like that
particularly caters to small business (i.e. has really low startup cost)?

I know of two small business owners who might be willing to be guinea pigs
to help me work the kinks out.  I'd do their sites for free, but they
would still have to pick up the hosting costs.

 Duane