Really intro level hosting question

Disclaimer: this suggestion plugs my employer's services, but it is on
topic.

>I prefer to work in a
>Linux/Tomcat/Java environment.  Does anybody have one they like that
>particularly caters to small business (i.e. has really low startup cost)

No, I don't know of one. My employer tzo.com does offer webhosting that fits
your profile, including Linux hosting.. but -not- the Tomcat/Java part.
Sorry.

But there's another option... consider hosting your own server. A TZO
dynamic DNS account could bind your domain name to your broadband
connection's non-fixed IP address. Second-tier domains (like duane.com) are
cheap, and third-tier (like duane.tzo.com) are still cheaper.

And if you don't have broadband, you might slap together a standalone server
you could have someone (trusted) "colocate" in their home or apartment's
connection. An almost-obsolete 300MHz box would run well enough, and you can
configure Jakarta yourself since it's not a widely supported hosting option.
Jakarta mailing lists might have small-business-friendly hosting ISP's you
could work with, but I have a feeling there are not many. You might also
consider PHP which has a little more support at the "small business" side of
hosting.

You mentioned a pair of businesses willing to be "guinea pigs", so this
would save them up-front money especially while the design is fluid.

-Scott