When Linux hard drives go bad

I think my laptop is dying.  For some apps (particularly mozilla) it goes
into this weird hang mode where all I can hear is this rhythmic
"kachunkachunkachunka" noise for many seconds.   Also some copy operations
in the file system have failed with weird "IO errors".  Lastly and perhaps
most importantly, sometimes when rebooting the machine it gives me a
failure to check the file system.

Assuming for the moment that a new laptop is not in my future, is there a
way that I can somehow detect and flag bad sectors on the drive?  Or at
least determine which files use those bad areas so that I can work around
them?  Mozilla is the primary culprit, but not the only one.

Duane