VoIP

I just have a little to add to this:

>>3. Can I make an H.323 gateway using my Linux box? What, if any,
>>advantage do
>>    I gain if I do?
>
> Yes, there is (at least) openh323.org, but I do not know how to set it
> up to work through a NAT.

I've been working on doing just about the same thing, for the same
reasons (chatting with family way far away). This was actually my first
solution, and I've now got gnu-gk running on a FreeBSD4.6 box (my
firewall/router) that routes things pretty well. There are some issues
with sound not getting across, but I haven't figured out if that's a
firewall thing, a gnugk thing, or a Netmeeting-Gnomemeeting thing (I
strongly suspect the last). The website is www.gnugk.org, and the
section on routing in the configuration file
(http://www.gnugk.org/h323manual.html#routed) is pretty much all I
needed to set up NAT negotiation.

If you do get something working well, I'd love to hear how it
goes--always looking out for improvements to my setup.

-Chris