Very Small Laptop Recommendations?

mike ledoux wrote:

> So, I'm going on a road trip next week, and normally would carry my
> laptop to load maps into the GPS for the areas I'll be travelling
> through (the GPS only holds 24M of map data, so I can't simply load
> all of the maps for the ~1600 mile trip).  Unfortunately, my laptop
> died last week, and I don't have time this week to deal with the
> warranty service.  My laptop is bigger than what I'd prefer for
> this purpose anyway, so I'm taking this as an excuse to buy a very
> small portable machine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for models I should consider, or
> places I should look?  If you happen to have an old, small laptop
> that you're looking to part with, that'd be great too. :)

You didn't mention the Sony Picturebook series (PCG-C1). They started
with PII processors, and then shifted to the Transmeta Crusoe. (The hard
disks and RAM get larger over time, as do the CPU speeds.) At any given
time, there is always a variety of used systems on eBay, and you might
find some elsewhere as well. The Fujitsu and Sharp systems you mention
haven't been available as long, so you're less likely to find a used one.

JABR has one of the early models with a PII. You might ask him to let
you have a look sometime.