Last question, net device naming

Ok, I'm getting there.  Latest problem -- Mandrake wants to see both my
Netgear wiress and my Xircom ethernet PCMCIA cards as "eth0".  This
naturally causes some problems.  The xircom card appears to boot fine
(after warning me that it has fundamentally changed its nature from
wireless to notwireless), but then I discover that it has deleted all of
my wireless settings and created a new ifcfg-eth0 file.  This is nasty.

Since we have assumed that calling wireless "wlan0" is not an easy option,
can I go the otherway and make Mandrake think that the Xircom card is
eth1, make everybody all happy?

Duane